The Science Behind How to Strengthen Your Nails With Argan Oil
Imagine this scenario: You got off from work early today. It’s so wonderful that you’ve got some time to yourself. Deciding to relax and unwind, you slip into comfortable clothes and recline on your cozy couch. If someone could read your mind, it would say, “Pampering under progress. Do not disturb.”
Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could add a fabulous nail care routine to your pampering agenda? Why cheat yourself off this pleasure? You know you deserve it. So, let’s give those nails some much needed loving and caring by learning how to strengthen your nails using simple DIY methods.
A Behind the Scene Look at Your Body’s Nail Factory
Did you know that your nail is both dead and alive at the same time? It’s true. The visible part of your nails, except the silvery-white portion at the base, is dead. That’s the reason why you don’t feel pain when you cut your nails. This biologically inactive part of your nail is called the nail plate. The nail plate is made of keratin, the same material your body uses to make hair strands.
The dead part of the nail exists to protect the soft tissue underneath it. The hard nail plate also makes your fingertips more durable. In fact, chefs position their knives against their nail plates to quickly, and more importantly, safely chop onions into tiny bits.So, the nail plate is far from just dead weight.
The keratinized cells in your nail plate are currently dead. But, they began as living cells in the nail matrix. The nail matrix is the portion at the base of your nail. Here, your body makes new nail cells. These newborn nail cell push the old ones outward. As the layers of old cells leave the matrix, the length of the nail plate increases, giving the appearance of nail growth.
Usually, your skin covers the matrix, making it invisible. However, on some digits, you can identify the part of the matrix called lunula. The lunula is the half-moon shaped patch at the base of your nails. This patch is clearly visible on your thumbs. If you look carefully, you will see a thin film over the lunula. This film, known as cuticle, prevents environmental pollutants and harmful microbes from corrupting the matrix.
Thus, the important parts of the nail that you need to remember are as follows:
- Nail plate
Argan Oil: Your Nail’s Knight in Shining Armor
Argan oil deserves its hallowed position in the cosmetics hall of fame. This oil definitely goes beyond its call of duty. It serves not just your nail care needs but also hair and skin care needs. This versatile oil comes from the semi-arid regions of Morocco. People native to this area have known the aesthetic benefits of argan oil for many generations.
Today, this liquid gold is available to all. This is extremely good news for you because quality nail care is just a few clicks away. If you’re searching how to strengthen your nails at home, argan oil will prove quite useful. In other words, argan oil is the Swiss Army Knife of personal care. Keep reading, because in this article we’ll talk about how argan oil can help you get drop dead gorgeous nails.
8 Reasons to Use Argan Oil for Enviable Nails
Your finger nails are as important as any other external feature. There is no reason why they should miss out on the attention and care you give to other aspects of your appearance. With the help of argan oil, you can make sure your nails get five-star treatment and here are eight reasons why:
- Storehouse of Linoleic Acid: Nearly a quarter of argan oil consists of linoleic acid. Without linoleic acid, your nails split and become flaky. Applying argan oil topically on your nails regularly, supplies the cells in the matrix and cuticle with the required dose of linoleic acid. As a result, the appearance of your nails dramatically improve within a few weeks.
- Abundance of Antioxidants: Metabolic reactions in your body produces highly reactive oxygen molecules called free radicals. These free radicals damage the cuticle of your nails at a cellular level by attacking the molecular structure of your cells. In order to protect your cuticle from free radical damage, you must apply argan oil. Argan oil contains antioxidants which can neutralize the free radicals.
- Source of Squalene: Squalene, a common fatty acid that your body produces, is a natural moisturizer. Your nail’s cuticles are prone to excessive loss of moisture because it is extremely thin. Argan oil, reinforces your cuticle’s squalene production with the squalene in the oil. Therefore, your cuticle remains adequately moisturized.
- Power Packed With Polyphenols: The sun’s rays contain an invisible assailant called ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The UV radiation wears down the elastin in the cuticle. Without the elastin, the cuticle cannot hold its shape. As a result, photo damage gradually degrades the quality of the cuticle. Coating your cuticle with a thin layer of argan oil prevents sun damage. This is because argan oil contains compounds called polyphenols, which absorbs the UV radiation.
- Supplies Sterols: Sterols form an essential part of the cell membrane. At a microscopic level, connective tissues bind the functional components of your cuticle together. Sterols present in argan oil help keep the cells of the connective tissue healthy and strong. Without strong connective tissue, the cuticle layer becomes vulnerable to damage.
- Zero Comedogenic Value: The comedogenic scale indicates the extent to which an oil clogs the pores in your skin cells. The lower the number on the comedogenic scale, the lesser the extent of clogging. This means that argan oil, with a comedogenic scale rating of zero, doesn’t clog the pores in your skin at all. Thus, using argan oil doesn’t interrupt your body’s skin maintenance protocols.
- Easy for Cuticle to Absorb: Many cosmetic products use argan oil as a carrier oil because your skin absorbs argan oil rapidly. Moreover, since the absorption is so complete, argan oil does not leave any oily or sticky residue on the skin. Thus, you don’t have to worry about getting oil all over your stuff after treating your fingertips with argan oil. Just allow the oil five to 10 minutes to permeate your cuticle and you’re good to go.
- Economical and Easy to Use: Argan oil may appear expensive; but, it is not. This is because the amount of argan oil required to produce exemplary results is miniscule: all you need are a few drops. You can use an eight ounce bottle of argan oil to treat all your nails three times a week for three to six months. This time is sufficient for the nail plate to completely replace itself. Also, using argan oil is simple. You will learn the process in the next section.
Also, if your nails are weak from using artificial nails, the treatment described in the next section will help you understand how to strengthen your nails after acrylics.
How to Strengthen Your Nails Using Argan Oil
This section focusses on how to strengthen your nails with home remedies. Here, you will learn how to strengthen your nails naturally using common household ingredients. These process will teach you how to strengthen your nails with the help of argan oil.
Treatment for Strengthening Nails
This treatment helps your nails grow stronger. So, your nails grow longer without cracking or splitting. At the same time, the texture of your nail becomes smooth, lustrous, and even. To begin this treatment, you will near the following items:
- One lemon.
- An eight ounce bottle of pure argan oil.
- A dropper, in case the bottle doesn’t have one.
- A sharp knife to cut the lemon.
- A bowl to blend the ingredients. The bowl must be big enough to dip your hand into it.
- A spoon to mix the ingredients.
- A towel to dry your fingernails.
Once you have all the above items, follow the procedure below:
- Cut the lemon in half with the knife.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixing bowl.
- Use the dropper to add argan oil to the lemon juice. Add lemon juice and argan oil in equal quantitates.
- Mix the lemon juice and argan oil thoroughly using a spoon.
- Dip your fingertips in the bowl and leave it inside the bowl for 15 minutes.
- Wash your fingertips with water.
- Dry your fingertips with a towel.
- Repeat the process twice a week for three to four months.
You can effortlessly use a nail strengthening routine in conjunction with a skin or hair care regimen. After the treatment, you can visit a professional manicurist to shape your nails aesthetically. Remember, strong nails retain the cosmetic boost from manicures for long periods. So, go for your manicure after the treatment, and not before.
Treatment for Damaged Cuticles
If your cuticles are damaged, but your nails are otherwise healthy, you can go for a much simpler treatment than the one we read earlier. This treatment requires the following items:
An eight ounce bottle of argan oil.
- A few cotton balls.
- A dropper, in case the argan oil bottle doesn’t have one.
After you acquire the above items, follow the process below:
- Clean and dry your nails well.
- Drop one or two drops of argan oil on a cotton ball with the help of the dropper.
- Using the cotton ball, coat your cuticles with a thin film of argan oil.
- Rest your nails until your cuticles absorb the argan oil.
- Repeat the process daily for three to four weeks.
Argan Oil: A Simple Shopper’s Guide
Buying argan oil online or offline is tricky if you don’t know how to identify the characteristics of a superior product. That’s why we’ve put together a list of helpful pointers that help you make the right decision.
- Buy Only 100-Percent Argan Oil: Since argan oil’s extraction process is largely manual, the cost of producing argan oil is high. So, cosmetic companies don’t use 100 percent pure argan oil in their products. Although this decreases the product’s cost, the benefits also decrease proportionally.
- Look for Cold Pressed Oil: When manufacturers extract argan oil using only mechanical methods, we say the oil is “cold pressed.” Since cold pressing doesn’t involve any chemicals, cold pressed argan oil doesn’t contain any chemical contaminants.
- Read Customer Reviews: Customer feedback provides information regarding the efficacy of the product. Additionally, the reviews provide practical insights. For example, customers of a particular brand frequently complained that the pump mechanism was fragile and faulty.
- Hunt for Good Bargains: Many products offer attractive discounts, promotional price reductions, and free trail packs. Usually, you will find a way to acquire the product without having to pay the full price.
- Read the Money Back Policy: Money back guarantee is a common marketing tool manufacturers use to move their product. However, you must read the terms and conditions of the agreement. Sometimes, the refund procedure is too arduous to follow.
Alternatively, you can save yourself some precious time and laborious effort and choose the Skinception cold pressed cosmetic argan oil. The product meets all the above criteria and a growing community of satisfied customers vouch for its effectiveness.
Additional Nail Care Strategies
The benefits of argan oil as a standalone nail care solution are outstanding. However, you can go even further and achieve stellar results by adopting some of these practices:
- Eat Nutritiously: Nutrition plays a key role in strengthening your nails. Make sure your diet includes enough proteins, vitamin A, vitamin B, and vitamin D. Also include more fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seed, legumes, and healthy fats in your diet. Try to avoid refined foods, added sugar, and processed ingredients as much as possible.
- Rest Adequately: Your body requires some downtime to carry out its restorative functions. So, give yourself six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
- Exercise Regularly: Regular exercise improves your cardiovascular system. This enhances blood circulation in your body. Consequently, the cells in your nail’s matrix receive enough nutrition to execute cell division smoothly.
- Manage Your Stress: Many non-essential functions are put in the back burner when your body is under stress. Stress impedes the repair processes that your nails must carry out to recover. To prevent stress from interfering with your rejuvenative functions, practice stress relief methods, such as controlled breathing, yogaand meditation.
- Be Well Hydrated at All Times: A dry leaf is easier to snap into two than a fresh leaf is. Similarly, dry nails are more prone to chaffing, splitting, and cracking when your body is dehydrated. So, make sure you get enough water in your system every day. If your urine isn’t clear, then you need to increase your water intake.
You can skip some of the methods above if you’re all about how to strengthen your nails fast. If you have a long-term nail care plan, then incorporate these suggestions along with the argan oil treatment.
Avoid These Top Most-Wanted Nail Killers
Taking care of damaged nails is the first part of a successful nail care system. The second part is preventing further damage from occurring. To do this, you must be aware of common causes of nail breakage and splitting.
- Harsh Soaps and Cleaning Products: Use mild cleansing agents to clean your nails and wear gloves while handling strong cleaners, such as dishwashing soap and floor cleaners.
- Nail Hardeners: You might think that hard nails are healthy nails. This isn’t true. In fact, alcohols and aldehydes in nail hardeners strip away the natural oils in your nails and make the nails brittle.
- Clipping Dry Nails: Clip and file your nails immediately after you shower at least once a week. This keeps them from cracking and splitting at the edges.
- Prolonged Contact with Water: If you’re in contact with water for a longtime, like say when you’re doing the dishes, shield your nails from water with the help of gloves. If your nails are repeatedly exposed to water for long periods, they will split.
- Nail Polish: Remove nail polish promptly. When you begin to see white spaces at the base of your nails, remove the nail polish. Also, restrict yourself from using nail polish frequently; save it for special occasions.
- Bite Nails or Pick the Cuticles: No matter how thrilling the movie is, don’t bite your nails. Biting nails can undo many months of diligent effort within seconds. Also, leave your cuticles alone.
Final Words on Nailing Nail Care
Picture yourself looking at those amazing nails, both marveling and rejoicing at their beauty. Your nails look so adorable. People around you can’t help but compliment your gorgeous nails. Feels fantastic, doesn’t it? Well, this future is within your grasp because you now know how to strengthen your nails in simple, yet effective, ways. So, go ahead and nail your nail care routine.